Authored by Janet Leon, Senior Quality Assurance Analyst/Consultant
As a consultant for more than 20 years, I’ve learned a lot about what it takes to be a good consultant. And as an employee of Itero Group for 4 of those years, I’ve also learned a lot about what it means to work for a good consulting company. I like to think I’m a good consultant and I know Itero Group is a good consulting company…but how do I know?
For starters, there are a few characteristics good consultants and good consulting companies share:
- Good consultants, like good consulting companies, are always there to assist when needed. Whenever I’ve had an issue arise or something I’ve needed to discuss, I’ve always been able to go to Itero Group leadership, just like my clients come to me when they need something from me.
- Successful consultants have strong work ethics, and they work for companies that also have strong work ethics. Itero Group consultants are focused, but we also have fun and know how to balance when to work hard and when to play.
- Putting clients first is one of the best attributes a consultant can have, and it’s the same for consulting companies. Itero Group puts the needs and well-being of its employees first, making it easier for me and my peers to do the same for clients…because we know our employer is looking out for us.
- Dependable consultants are good consultants. Similarly, good consulting firms are dependable when it comes to keeping consultants informed of their project situations and minimizing surprises to project scope and timing.
- Consultants need to be able to work independently and be self-driven, and good consulting firms give their consultants the autonomy to complete tasks without constant oversight.
- Clear, honest communication is a must for consultants AND consulting firms – with each other, with colleagues, and with clients.
- Good consultants go above and beyond for their clients. It was my last day with a client due to budget cuts and I stayed late to complete the testing for the release I was working on, even though there was no expectation I would. The same goes for good consulting companies. Itero Group has gone above and beyond to keep me staffed on projects, accelerating in my career, and happy at my workplace.
It’s no surprise good consultants work for good consulting companies, and I’ve been very fortunate to work for Itero Group and for clients who value my consulting skills and allow me to grow as a consulting professional.